Subject: Re: [Enable Designware XGMAC VLAN Stripping Feature 1/2] dt-bindings: net: snps,dwmac: Add description for rx-vlan-offload

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:04:28 -0700

[clean up the CC list]

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:32:44 -0700 Joe Perches wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-07-21 at 18:55 -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:21:32 +0200 Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:  
> > > That's not how you run it. get_maintainers.pl should be run on patches
> > > or on all files, not just some selection.  
> > 
> > Adding Joe for visibility (I proposed to print a warning when people 
> > do this and IIRC he wasn't on board).  
> 
> What's the issue here?  Other than _how_ the script was used,
> I don't see an actual problem with the script itself.

I just CCed you on another case. If people keep using get_maintainers
wrong, it *is* an issue with the script.

> I use the scripts below to send patch series where a patch series
> are the only files in individual directories.

The fact that most people end up wrapping get_maintainers in another
script is also a pretty strong indication that the user experience is
inadequate.

To be clear - I'm happy to put in the work to make the changes.
It's just that from past experience you seem to have strong opinions
which run counter to maintainers' needs, and I don't really enjoy
writing Perl for the sake of it.