Subject: [PATCH 5.15 66/92] net: tap_open(): set sk_uid from current_fsuid()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 12:41:42 +0200

From: Laszlo Ersek <[email-masked]>

commit 5c9241f3ceab3257abe2923a59950db0dc8bb737 upstream.

Commit 66b2c338adce initializes the "sk_uid" field in the protocol socket
(struct sock) from the "/dev/tapX" device node's owner UID. Per original
commit 86741ec25462 ("net: core: Add a UID field to struct sock.",
2016-11-04), that's wrong: the idea is to cache the UID of the userspace
process that creates the socket. Commit 86741ec25462 mentions socket() and
accept(); with "tap", the action that creates the socket is
open("/dev/tapX").

Therefore the device node's owner UID is irrelevant. In most cases,
"/dev/tapX" will be owned by root, so in practice, commit 66b2c338adce has
no observable effect:

- before, "sk_uid" would be zero, due to undefined behavior
  (CVE-2023-1076),

- after, "sk_uid" would be zero, due to "/dev/tapX" being owned by root.

What matters is the (fs)UID of the process performing the open(), so cache
that in "sk_uid".

Cc: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
Cc: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Cc: Pietro Borrello <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Fixes: 66b2c338adce ("tap: tap_open(): correctly initialize socket uid")
Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2173435
Signed-off-by: Laszlo Ersek <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/tap.c |    2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

--- a/drivers/net/tap.c
+++ b/drivers/net/tap.c
@@ -523,7 +523,7 @@ static int tap_open(struct inode *inode,
 	q->sock.state = SS_CONNECTED;
 	q->sock.file = file;
 	q->sock.ops = &tap_socket_ops;
-	sock_init_data_uid(&q->sock, &q->sk, inode->i_uid);
+	sock_init_data_uid(&q->sock, &q->sk, current_fsuid());
 	q->sk.sk_write_space = tap_sock_write_space;
 	q->sk.sk_destruct = tap_sock_destruct;
 	q->flags = IFF_VNET_HDR | IFF_NO_PI | IFF_TAP;