Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 00/13] nfp: add support for multi-pf configuration

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:22:05 -0700

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:38:59 +0200 Louis Peens wrote:
> As part of v1 there was also some partially finished discussion about
> devlink allowing to bind to multiple bus devices. This series creates a
> devlink instance per PF, and the comment was asking if this should maybe
> change to be a single instance, since it is still a single device. For
> the moment we feel that this is a parallel issue to this specific
> series, as it seems to be already implemented this way in other places,
> and this series would be matching that.
> 
> We are curious about this idea though, as it does seem to make sense if
> the original devlink idea was that it should have a one-to-one
> correspondence per ASIC. Not sure where one would start with this
> though, on first glance it looks like the assumption that devlink is
> only connected to a single bus device is embedded quite deep. This
> probably needs commenting/discussion with somebody that has pretty good
> knowledge of devlink core.

How do you suggest we move forward? This is a community project after
all, _someone_ has to start the discussion and then write the code.