Subject: Re: [PATCH iwl-next v2] ice: Disable Cage Max Power override

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 17:54:56 -0700

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:01:07 +0000 Drewek, Wojciech wrote:
> > Can you say more? We have ETHTOOL_MSG_MODULE_GET / SET, sounds like
> > something we could quite easily get ethtool to support?  
> 
> So you're suggesting that ethtool could support setting the maximum power in the cage? 
> Something like:
>  - new "--set-module" parameter called "power-max"
>  - new "--get-module" parameters: "power-max-allowed",
>   "power-min-allowed" indicating limitations reported by the HW.

Yup. Oh, nice you even CCed Ido already :)

> About the patch itself, it's only about restoration of the default
> settings upon port split. Those might be overwritten by Intel's
> external tools.

I guess, the thing that sent me down the path of putting the control
in hands of the user more directly was the question of "why do we need
to reset on port split"? Why is that a policy the driver is supposed
to follow?