Subject: Re: [PATCH iwl-next v9 00/15] Introduce the Parser Library

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:38:39 -0700

On Thu, 7 Sep 2023 14:08:15 -0500 Samudrala, Sridhar wrote:
> >> This patch set provides a way for applications to send down training
> >> packets & masks (in binary) to the driver. Then these binary data
> >> would be used by the driver to generate certain data that are needed
> >> to create a filter rule in the filtering stage of switch/RSS/FDIR.  
> > 
> > What's the API for the user? I see a whole bunch of functions added here
> > which never get called.  
> 
> This link shows an early version of a user of this patch series
> 	https://lore.kernel.org/intel-wired-lan/[email-masked]/
> 
> This API is planned to be exposed to VF drivers via virtchnl interface 
> to pass raw training packets and masks. The VF using this API can only 
> steer RX traffic directed that VF to its own queues.

FWIW I have no idea what a "training packet and mask" is either.
Hopefully next version will come with a _much_ clearer high
level explanation.