Subject: Re: [RFC] docs: netdev: encourage reviewers

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 11:57:15 -0700

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:41:19 +0200 Andrew Lunn wrote:
> We already have:
> 
> https://docs.kernel.org/process/7.AdvancedTopics.html#reviewing-patches
> 
> which has some of the same concepts. I don't think anything in the
> proposed new text is specific to netdev, unlike most of the rest of
> maintainer-netdev.rst which does reference netdev specific rules or
> concepts.
> 
> So i wounder if this even belongs in netdev? Do we actually want to
> extend the current text in "A guide to the Kernel Development
> Process", and maintainer-netdev.rst say something like:
> 
>     Reviewing other people's patches on the list is highly encouraged,
>     regardless of the level of expertise.
> 
> and cross reference to the text in section 7.2?

:) If I can't get it past you there's no chance I'll get it past docs@

Let me move some of the staff into general docs and add a reference.
The questions which came up were about use of tags and how maintainers
approach the reviews from less experienced devs, which I think is
subsystem-specific?