Subject: Re: [RFC] docs: netdev: encourage reviewers

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 12:10:47 -0700

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 11:57:15 -0700 Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> :) If I can't get it past you there's no chance I'll get it past docs@
> 
> Let me move some of the staff into general docs and add a reference.
> The questions which came up were about use of tags and how maintainers
> approach the reviews from less experienced devs, which I think is
> subsystem-specific?

So moved most of the paragraphs to the common docs, what I kept in
netdev is this:

Reviewer guidance
-----------------

Reviewing other people's patches on the list is highly encouraged,
regardless of the level of expertise. For general guidance and
helpful tips please see :ref:`development_advancedtopics_reviews`.

It's safe to assume that netdev maintainers know the community and the level
of expertise of the reviewers. The reviewers should not be concerned about
their comments impeding or derailing the patch flow.

Less experienced reviewers should avoid commenting exclusively on more
trivial / subjective matters like code formatting and process aspects
(e.g. missing subject tags).

Sounds reasonable?