Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 0/3] Rust abstractions for network PHY drivers

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 17:14:16 +0200

On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 05:06:45PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 4:52 PM Greg KH <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Then the main CONFIG_HAVE_RUST should have that dependency, don't force
> > it on each individual driver.
> 
> Yes, that is what I meant (well, `CONFIG_RUST` is where we have the
> other restrictions).

Oops, yes, add it there please.

> > But note, that is probably not a good marketing statement as you are
> > forced to make your system more insecure in order to use the "secure"
> > language :(
> 
> Indeed, but until we catch up on that, it is what it is; i.e. it is
> not something that we want to keep there, it has to go away to make it
> viable.

Is anyone working on the needed compiler changes for this to work
properly on x86?

> The other option we discussed back then was to print a big banner or
> something at runtime, but that is also not great (and people would
> still see warnings at build time -- for good reason).

No, please don't do that, you would be making systems insecure and the
mix of a kernel image with, and without, RET statements in it is going
to be a huge mess.  Just disable CONFIG_RUST for now until proper
retbleed support is added to the compiler.

thanks,

greg k-h