Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 04/13] linkmode: convert linkmode_{test,set,clear,mod}_bit() to macros

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:27:54 -0700

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:52:38 +0200 Alexander Lobakin wrote:
> Since commit b03fc1173c0c ("bitops: let optimize out non-atomic bitops
> on compile-time constants"), the non-atomic bitops are macros which can
> be expanded by the compilers into compile-time expressions, which will
> result in better optimized object code. Unfortunately, turned out that
> passing `volatile` to those macros discards any possibility of
> optimization, as the compilers then don't even try to look whether
> the passed bitmap is known at compilation time. In addition to that,
> the mentioned linkmode helpers are marked with `inline`, not
> `__always_inline`, meaning that it's not guaranteed some compiler won't
> uninline them for no reason, which will also effectively prevent them
> from being optimized (it's a well-known thing the compilers sometimes
> uninline `2 + 2`).
> Convert linkmode_*_bit() from inlines to macros. Their calling
> convention are 1:1 with the corresponding bitops, so that it's not even
> needed to enumerate and map the arguments, only the names. No changes in
> vmlinux' object code (compiled by LLVM for x86_64) whatsoever, but that
> doesn't necessarily means the change is meaningless.

Acked-by: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>

This one can go in with the rest, it's trivial enough.