Subject: Re: [RFC v1 0/8] vhost-vdpa: add support for iommufd

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:52:17 -0400

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 09:30:21AM -0500, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 10:12:37AM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Big company's should take the responsibility to train and provide
> > skill development for their own staff.
> 
> That would result in a beautiful cathedral of a patch. I know this is
> how some companies work. We are doing more of a bazaar thing here,
> though. In a bunch of subsystems it seems that you don't get the
> necessary skills until you have been publically shouted at by
> maintainers - better to start early ;). Not a nice environment for
> novices, for sure.

In my view the "shouting from maintainers" is harmful to the people
buidling skills and it is an unkind thing to dump employees into that
kind of situation.

They should have help to establish the basic level of competence where
they may do the wrong thing, but all the process and presentation of
the wrong thing is top notch. You get a much better reception.

Jason