Subject: Re: [ANN] netdev development stats for 6.7

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 08:33:07 -0800

On Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:19:31 +0100 Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > I just noticed this stats report from Simon. Thanks for your work and
> > sharing. I want to know if there is a way to bind my personal email
> > with my company so my review could increase my company's score :)  

Thanks for asking, the company association is my least favorite part 
of this work, and you gave me an excuse to rant about it :)

> Jonathan Corbet <[email-masked]> maintains a list of email addresses
> to organisations mapping. Let him know who you work for and the next
> cycle you should count to your company.

Yes, unfortunately I do not have access to that list. The LWN list was
compiled with some assurances of the list not being shared. Jon / Greg
understandably did not want to send me the list and break that promise.

So telling Jon won't help me.

Now, CNCF has a similar setup: https://github.com/cncf/gitdm
and they do share their database. So I use that, plus my local hacky
mapping. Unfortunately the CNCF DB is not very up to date for kernel
folks.

Hangbin, according to CNCF you're at Red Hat, which seems sane, and
that's how I count you :)

Now the rant.

Unfortunately I can't handle creating a company/developer DB myself,
because of GDPR etc. I work for a company which takes personal
information very, very seriously.

I brought creating a public DB up at Linux Foundation TAB meetings,
but after some poking there's no movement.

To add insult to injury, if you watch past the end of the recent
(excellent) talk from Jon - https://lwn.net/Articles/949647/ you will
see Jim Zemlin pop up on the stage after Jon finishes, and you will
hear him tout the great "analytics tools" that Linux Foundation
has been working. I think he's talking about this:
https://insights.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/projects/korg/dashboard

It would be great if Linux Foundation helped the community with the
developer/company DB, which is ACTUALLY USEFUL BEFORE WASTING TIME ON
SOME WEB STUFF THAT DOESN'T WORK FOR THE KERNEL.

This makes me so angry.