Subject: Re: [RFC v1 0/8] vhost-vdpa: add support for iommufd

From: "Michael S. Tsirkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 18:48:46 -0500

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 11:52:17AM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 09:30:21AM -0500, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 10:12:37AM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > Big company's should take the responsibility to train and provide
> > > skill development for their own staff.
> > 
> > That would result in a beautiful cathedral of a patch. I know this is
> > how some companies work. We are doing more of a bazaar thing here,
> > though. In a bunch of subsystems it seems that you don't get the
> > necessary skills until you have been publically shouted at by
> > maintainers - better to start early ;). Not a nice environment for
> > novices, for sure.
> 
> In my view the "shouting from maintainers" is harmful to the people
> buidling skills and it is an unkind thing to dump employees into that
> kind of situation.
> 
> They should have help to establish the basic level of competence where
> they may do the wrong thing, but all the process and presentation of
> the wrong thing is top notch. You get a much better reception.
> 
> Jason

What - like e.g. mechanically fixing checkpatch warnings without
understanding? I actually very much dislike it when people take a bad
patch and just polish the presentation
- it is easier for me if I can judge patch quality quickly from the
presentation. Matter of taste I guess.

-- 
MST