Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH] net: phy: correctly check soft_reset ret ONLY if defined for PHY

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:53:03 -0800

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:50:53 +0100 Christian Marangi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 09:42:34AM -0800, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:15:40 +0100 Christian Marangi wrote:  
> > > Luckly nothing was ever added before the soft_reset call so the ret
> > > check (in the case where a PHY didn't had soft_reset defined) although
> > > wrong, never caused problems as ret was init 0 at the start of
> > > phy_init_hw.  
> > 
> > not currently a bug => no Fixes tag, please  
> 
> I know it's not a bug but still the referenced commit was wrong. Can I
> at least use Ref to reference it?

Not sure what you mean by "Ref"

> Due to the changes done to this function, it's hard to catch where the
> problem arised with a git blame.

Right, and you already quote the commit in the body. No objections to
repeating that if you want, maybe:

Introduced by commit 6e2d85ec0559 ("net: phy: Stop with excessive soft
reset").

but as a part of the "body" of the commit message, not tags.