Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 07/13] net: page_pool: implement GET in the netlink API

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:00:42 -0800

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:39:48 +0100 Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> Can we still somehow list "detached" page_pool's with ifindex==1 
> (LOOPBACK_IFINDEX) ?

Do you mean filter at the kernel level to dump just them? Or whether
they are visible at all?

They are visible, with ifindex attribute absent.

If you mean filtering - I was considering various filters but it seems
like in "production" use we dump all the page pools, anyway. 
The detached ones need to be kept in check, obviously, but the "live"
ones also have to be monitored to make sure they don't eat up too much
memory.

The code we prepared at Meta for when this gets merged logs:
 - sum(inflight-mem), not detached
 - sum(inflight-mem), detached
 - recycling rate (similar calculation to the sample in the last patch)

It may be useful in CLI to dump all detached pools but ad-hoc CLI can
just filter in user space, doesn't have to be super efficient.