Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 09/13] net: page_pool: report amount of memory held by page pools

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:06:13 -0800

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:24:55 +0100 Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> > +      -
> > +        name: inflight
> > +        type: uint
> > +        doc: |
> > +          Number of outstanding references to this page pool (allocated
> > +          but yet to be freed pages).  
> 
> Maybe it is worth explaining in this doc that these inflight references
> also cover elements in (ptr) ring (and alloc-cache) ?
> 
> In a follow up patchset, we likely also want to expose the PP ring size.
> As that could be relevant when assessing inflight number.

Good point, how about:

          Number of outstanding references to this page pool (allocated
          but yet to be freed pages). Allocated pages may be held in
          socket receive queues, driver receive rings, page pool recycling
          ring, the page pool cache, etc.