Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH v8 02/10] net: Add queue and napi association

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:00:43 -0800

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:28:19 -0800 Nambiar, Amritha wrote:
> Trying to understand this distinction bit more:
> So, netdev-genl queue-get shows state of queue objects as reported from 
> the netdev level. Now, unless there's the queue-set command changing the 
> configuration, the state of queue-objects would match the hardware 
> configurations.
> When the user changes the configuration with a queue-set command:
> - queue-get would report the new updates (as obtained from the netdev).
> - The updates would not be reflected in the hardware till a reset is 
> issued. At this point, ethtool or others would report the older 
> configuration (before reset).
> - After reset, the state of queue objects from queue-get would match the 
> actual hardware configuration.
> 
> I agree, an explicit "reset" user-command would be great. This way all 
> the set operations for the netdev objects (queue, NAPI, page pool etc.) 
> would stay at the netdev level without needing ndo_op for each, and then 
> the "reset" command can trigger the ndo callback and actuate the 
> hardware changes.

How the changes are applied is a separate topic. I was only talking
about the fact that if the settings are controllable both at the device
level and queue level - the queue state is a result of combining device
settings with queue settings.