Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 4/4] net: phy: marvell-88q2xxx: add driver for the Marvell 88Q2220 PHY

From: Dimitri Fedrau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:16:36 +0100

Am Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 02:47:57PM +0100 schrieb Stefan Eichenberger:
> Hi Dimitri,
Hi Stefan,

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 08:28:51AM +0100, Dimitri Fedrau wrote:
> > Add a driver for the Marvell 88Q2220. This driver allows to detect the
> > link, switch between 100BASE-T1 and 1000BASE-T1 and switch between
> > master and slave mode and autonegotiation.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Dimitri Fedrau <[email-masked]>
> 
> I tried to make your patch work in my setup but I'm unable to force a
> link speed. Were you able to force a different link speed with the
> following command?
> ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 autoneg off
>

I tested following modes, which all worked:

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on master-slave forced-master
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on master-slave preferred-master
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on master-slave preferred-slave
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on master-slave forced-slave

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on master-slave forced-master speed 100
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on master-slave preferred-master speed 100
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on master-slave preferred-slave	speed 100
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on master-slave forced-slave speed 100

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off master-slave forced-master speed 1000
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off master-slave preferred-master speed 1000
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off master-slave preferred-slave speed 1000
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off master-slave forced-slave speed 1000

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off master-slave forced-master speed 100
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off master-slave preferred-master speed 100
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off master-slave preferred-slave speed 100
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off master-slave forced-slave speed 100

Without setting the master-slave option it didn't work. I think its
mandatory.

> Regards,
> Stefan

Best regards,
Stefan