Subject: Re: [PATCH net v3] net: ethtool: do runtime PM outside RTNL

From: Marc MERLIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 08:30:43 -0800

On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 09:46:34AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 02:42:01PM +0100, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
> > Why don't you simply disable runtime pm for the affected device as a
> > workaround? This can be done via sysfs.
> 
> 1) because I didn't know what the exact bug was and how to work around it :)

Mmmh, so I need to test an ubuntu kernel (6.5.0-14) because of sound
issues in mainline TOT, and I can't boot the kernel to completion
without hititng this hang bug. I'm not exactly sure which part of the
boot triggers it.

I can't patch that kernel easily. How exactly do I disable runtime PM
from the kernel command line for "that device" which I'm not even sure
which one it is.  If it's the eth device, I already removed the igc
module to prevent it from loading, and I also removed the ethtool
binary, but I'm still getting the hang.

On the plus side, with 6.6.8 and the old patch which I understand is not
the ideal solution, I can confirm that I've been running problem free
until now, so thanks again for that interim patch.

Thanks,
Marc
-- 
"A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" - A.S.R.
 
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08