Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 03/13] doc/netlink: Describe sub-message selector resolution

From: Donald Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:34:48 +0000

Update the netlink-raw docs to add a description of sub-message selector
resolution to explain that selector resolution is constrained by the
spec.

Signed-off-by: Donald Hunter <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/netlink-raw.rst | 8 ++++++++
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/netlink-raw.rst b/Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/netlink-raw.rst
index 1e14f5f22b8e..32197f3cb40e 100644
--- a/Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/netlink-raw.rst
+++ b/Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/netlink-raw.rst
@@ -150,3 +150,11 @@ attributes from an ``attribute-set``. For example the following
 
 Note that a selector attribute must appear in a netlink message before any
 sub-message attributes that depend on it.
+
+If an attribute such as ``kind`` is defined at more than one nest level, then a
+sub-message selector will be resolved using the value 'closest' to the selector.
+For example, if the same attribute name is defined in a nested ``attribute-set``
+alongside a sub-message selector and also in a top level ``attribute-set``, then
+the selector will be resolved using the value 'closest' to the selector. If the
+value is not present in the message at the same level as defined in the spec
+then this is an error.
-- 
2.42.0