Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 net-next 00/13] net: phy: marvell-88q2xxx: add driver for the Marvell 88Q2220 PHY

From: Dimitri Fedrau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 10:32:30 +0100

Am Sat, Feb 03, 2024 at 05:07:13PM +0100 schrieb Andrew Lunn:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 07:30:29PM +0100, Dimitri Fedrau wrote:
> > [...]
> > 
> > Probably late, but there are parts of the code which are based on the
> > sample code provided by Marvell. The sample code is licensed under BSD
> > 2 Clause. Should I change the license in the driver to dual license ?
> 
> IANAL
> 
> You can take BSD code and release it with a GPL license. But it would
> be better to indicate it is derived from BSD code. Either make it dual
> license, or add a comment about the origin of the code.
>
Is there a reason why the "MODULE_AUTHOR" is not in the driver and it's
also missing in marvell-88x2222.c. I also don't see any copyright
information. I'm just curious, not seeking for any legal advice. :) I
just have to get this figured out to stay out of trouble.

Dimitri