Subject: Re: [TEST] The no-kvm CI instances going away

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:07:13 -0800

On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:45:00 -0700 David Ahern wrote:
> I have no such ability :-) I cover the costs myself when I use VMs on
> DigitalOcean and Vultr for Linux development and testing.
> 
> Kernel builds and selftests just need raw compute power, none of the
> fancy enterprise features that AWS provides (and bills accordingly).
> 
> The first question about who is covering the cost is to avoid
> assumptions and acknowledge the service (and costs) provided to the
> community. Having the selftests tied to patchsets is really helpful to
> proactively identify potential regressions.

Thanks! Meta is pretty great at covering various community costs.
I try to keep the asks reasonable, but I haven't been told "no",
yet. The reason why it'd be great to have more supporters is that
(at a cost of slightly more paperwork) we could externalize the
whole shebang, and give out SSH keys more freely :(

I also heard that some clouds or LF have free cloud credits for open
source CI. But IDK how I could connect those to my corporate account..

Anyway. In my ideal world we'd write a check for LF and get a bunch 
of VMs in DO or alike. In the present reality we have AWS which only 
I can access 🥴️

Good thing is the system is distributed. Hopefully over time more
people will join in by reporting the results (like Mojatatu does
with TCD).