Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2] net/sched: actions report errors with extack

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:45:56 -0800

On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:31:33 -0800
Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 15:58:30 -0800 Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > > I mean that NL_REQ_ATTR_CHECK() should be more than enough by itself.
> > > We have full TC specs in YAML now, we can hack up a script to generate
> > > reverse parsing tables for iproute2 even if you don't want to go full
> > > YNL.    
> > 
> > Ok, then will take the err msg across all places using NL_REQ_ATTR_CHECK?  
> 
> Take _out_ ? That'd be great, yup.

I don't think that is actually a good idea because new kernel needs to still
report errors to older userspace iproute2.

This is kind of academic hair splitting, iproute2 doesn't send these kind
of missing part messages. It is more from test suites, or from custom
user programs; found this when looking at DPDK device driver that was
sending its own netlink.