Subject: Re: [PATCH net 2/2] igc: Remove temporary workaround

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 09:08:46 -0800

On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 08:53:36 +0200 Sasha Neftin wrote:
> > Any more info on this one?
> > What's the user impact?
> > What changed (e.g. which FW version fixed it)?  
> 
> User impact: PHY could be powered down when the link is down (ip link 
> set down <device>)

to make it a tiny bit clearer:

s/could/can now/ ?
s/link is down/device is down/ ?
 
> Fix by PHY firmware and deployed via OEM updates (automatically, with 
> OEM SW/FW updates). We checked the IEEE behavior and removed w/a.
> 
> The PHY vendor no longer works with Intel, but I can say this was fixed 
> on a very early silicon step (years ago).

And the versions of the PHY components are not easily accessible so we
can't point to the version that was buggy or at least the oldest you
tested? If that's the case - it is what it is, please repost with the
improved commit msg.