Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/2] bnxt_en: Introduce devlink runtime driver param to set ptp tx timeout

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:30:54 -0800

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:11:49 +0100 Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Idk. This does not look sane to me at all. Will we have custom knobs to
> change timeout for arbitrary FW commands as this as a common thing?
> Driver is the one to take care of timeouts of FW gracefully, he should
> know the FW, not the user. Therefore exposing user knobs like this
> sounds pure wrong to me.
> 
> nack for adding this to devlink.

+1

BTW why is the documentation in a different patch that the param :(

> If this is some maybe-to-be-common ptp thing, can that be done as part
> of ptp api perhaps?

Perhaps, but also I think it's fairly impractical. Specialized users may
be able to tune this, but in DC environment PTP is handled at the host
level, and the applications come and go. So all the poor admin can do
is set this to the max value. While in the driver you can actually try
to be a bit more intelligent. Expecting the user to tune this strikes me
as trying to take the easy way out..