Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/2] bnxt_en: Introduce devlink runtime driver param to set ptp tx timeout

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:18:57 -0800

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:09:30 +0530 Pavan Chebbi wrote:
> > What I was saying is that in the PTP daemon you don't know whether
> > the app running is likely to cause delays or not, and how long.
> 
> As such timeouts are rare but still normal.

Normal, because...? Why do they happen?

> But if you've an environment where you want to have some kind of sync
> between the application and the NIC, as to when should both conclude
> that the timestamp is absolutely lost, we need some knob like this.
> Like you pointed out it's for an informed user who has knowledge of
> the

Let's start from informing the user why timeout happens.

> workloads/flow control and how (badly) could they affect the TX. Of
> course the user cannot make an accurate estimation of the exact time
> out, but he can always experiment with the knob.
> We are not sure if others need this as well, hence the private devlink
> parameter. For most common users, the default 1s timeout should serve
> well.