Subject: [PATCH net] bpf, skmsg: fix NULL pointer dereference in sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue

From: Jason Xing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:40:37 +0800

From: Jason Xing <[email-masked]>

Fix NULL pointer data-races in sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue() which
syzbot reported [1].

[1]
BUG: KCSAN: data-race in sk_psock_drop / sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue

write to 0xffff88814b3278b8 of 8 bytes by task 10724 on cpu 1:
 sk_psock_stop_verdict net/core/skmsg.c:1257 [inline]
 sk_psock_drop+0x13e/0x1f0 net/core/skmsg.c:843
 sk_psock_put include/linux/skmsg.h:459 [inline]
 sock_map_close+0x1a7/0x260 net/core/sock_map.c:1648
 unix_release+0x4b/0x80 net/unix/af_unix.c:1048
 __sock_release net/socket.c:659 [inline]
 sock_close+0x68/0x150 net/socket.c:1421
 __fput+0x2c1/0x660 fs/file_table.c:422
 __fput_sync+0x44/0x60 fs/file_table.c:507
 __do_sys_close fs/open.c:1556 [inline]
 __se_sys_close+0x101/0x1b0 fs/open.c:1541
 __x64_sys_close+0x1f/0x30 fs/open.c:1541
 do_syscall_64+0xd3/0x1d0
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75

read to 0xffff88814b3278b8 of 8 bytes by task 10713 on cpu 0:
 sk_psock_data_ready include/linux/skmsg.h:464 [inline]
 sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue+0x32d/0x390 net/core/skmsg.c:555
 sk_psock_skb_ingress_self+0x185/0x1e0 net/core/skmsg.c:606
 sk_psock_verdict_apply net/core/skmsg.c:1008 [inline]
 sk_psock_verdict_recv+0x3e4/0x4a0 net/core/skmsg.c:1202
 unix_read_skb net/unix/af_unix.c:2546 [inline]
 unix_stream_read_skb+0x9e/0xf0 net/unix/af_unix.c:2682
 sk_psock_verdict_data_ready+0x77/0x220 net/core/skmsg.c:1223
 unix_stream_sendmsg+0x527/0x860 net/unix/af_unix.c:2339
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
 __sock_sendmsg+0x140/0x180 net/socket.c:745
 ____sys_sendmsg+0x312/0x410 net/socket.c:2584
 ___sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2638 [inline]
 __sys_sendmsg+0x1e9/0x280 net/socket.c:2667
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2676 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2674 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x46/0x50 net/socket.c:2674
 do_syscall_64+0xd3/0x1d0
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75

value changed: 0xffffffff83d7feb0 -> 0x0000000000000000

Reported by Kernel Concurrency Sanitizer on:
CPU: 0 PID: 10713 Comm: syz-executor.4 Tainted: G        W          6.8.0-syzkaller-08951-gfe46a7dd189e #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 02/29/2024

Prior to this, commit 4cd12c6065df ("bpf, sockmap: Fix NULL pointer
dereference in sk_psock_verdict_data_ready()") fixed one NULL pointer
similarly due to no protection of saved_data_ready. Here is another
different caller causing the same issue because of the same reason. So
we should protect it with sk_callback_lock read lock because the writer
side in the sk_psock_drop() uses "write_lock_bh(&sk->sk_callback_lock);".

Fixes: 604326b41a6f ("bpf, sockmap: convert to generic sk_msg interface")
Reported-by: [email-masked]
Closes: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=aa8c8ec2538929f18f2d
Signed-off-by: Jason Xing <[email-masked]>
---
 net/core/skmsg.c | 2 ++
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)

diff --git a/net/core/skmsg.c b/net/core/skmsg.c
index 4d75ef9d24bf..67c4c01c5235 100644
--- a/net/core/skmsg.c
+++ b/net/core/skmsg.c
@@ -552,7 +552,9 @@ static int sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue(struct sk_buff *skb,
 	msg->skb = skb;
 
 	sk_psock_queue_msg(psock, msg);
+	read_lock_bh(&sk->sk_callback_lock);
 	sk_psock_data_ready(sk, psock);
+	read_unlock_bh(&sk->sk_callback_lock);
 	return copied;
 }
 
-- 
2.37.3