Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 7/7] testing: net-drv: add a driver test for stats reporting

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 14:48:17 -0700

On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 18:52:50 +0200 Petr Machata wrote:
> > Nothing wrong with that. I guess the question in my mind is whether
> > we're aiming for making the tests "pythonic" (in which case "with"
> > definitely wins), or more of a "bash with classes" style trying to
> > avoid any constructs people may have to google. I'm on the fence on
> > that one, as the del example proves my python expertise is not high.
> > OTOH people who prefer bash will continue to write bash tests,
> > so maybe we don't have to worry about non-experts too much. Dunno.  
> 
> What I'm saying is, bash is currently a bit of a mess when it comes to
> cleanups. It's hard to get right, annoying to review, and sometimes
> individual cases add state that they don't unwind in cleanup() but only
> later in the function, so when you C-c half-way through such case, stuff
> stays behind.
> 
> Python has tools to just magic all this away.

Understood, just to be clear what I was saying is that +/- bugs 
in my example it is possible to "attach" the lifetime of things
to a test object or such. Maybe people would be less likely to remember
to do that than use "with"? Dunno. In any case, IIUC we don't have to
decide now, so I went ahead with the v2 last night.