Subject: [PATCH net-next v2] net: sched: cake: Optimize the number of function calls and branches in heap construction

From: Kuan-Wei Chiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 01:47:16 +0800

When constructing a heap, heapify operations are required on all
non-leaf nodes. Thus, determining the index of the first non-leaf node
is crucial. In a heap, the left child's index of node i is 2 * i + 1
and the right child's index is 2 * i + 2. Node CAKE_MAX_TINS *
CAKE_QUEUES / 2 has its left and right children at indexes
CAKE_MAX_TINS * CAKE_QUEUES + 1 and CAKE_MAX_TINS * CAKE_QUEUES + 2,
respectively, which are beyond the heap's range, indicating it as a
leaf node. Conversely, node CAKE_MAX_TINS * CAKE_QUEUES / 2 - 1 has a
left child at index CAKE_MAX_TINS * CAKE_QUEUES - 1, confirming its
non-leaf status. The loop should start from it since it's not a leaf
node.

By starting the loop from CAKE_MAX_TINS * CAKE_QUEUES / 2 - 1, we
minimize function calls and branch condition evaluations. This
adjustment theoretically reduces two function calls (one for
cake_heapify() and another for cake_heap_get_backlog()) and five branch
evaluations (one for iterating all non-leaf nodes, one within
cake_heapify()'s while loop, and three more within the while loop
with if conditions).

Signed-off-by: Kuan-Wei Chiu <[email-masked]>
---
 net/sched/sch_cake.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/net/sched/sch_cake.c b/net/sched/sch_cake.c
index edee926ccde8..2eabc4dc5b79 100644
--- a/net/sched/sch_cake.c
+++ b/net/sched/sch_cake.c
@@ -1512,7 +1512,7 @@ static unsigned int cake_drop(struct Qdisc *sch, struct sk_buff **to_free)
 	if (!q->overflow_timeout) {
 		int i;
 		/* Build fresh max-heap */
-		for (i = CAKE_MAX_TINS * CAKE_QUEUES / 2; i >= 0; i--)
+		for (i = CAKE_MAX_TINS * CAKE_QUEUES / 2 - 1; i >= 0; i--)
 			cake_heapify(q, i);
 	}
 	q->overflow_timeout = 65535;
-- 
2.34.1