Subject: Re: [PATCH v24 00/20] nvme-tcp receive offloads

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:59:07 -0700

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:35:51 +0000 Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
> blktests seems to be the right framework to add all the testcases to 
> cover the targeted subsystem(s) for this patchset. Daniel from Suse has 
> already posted an RFC (see [1]) to add support for blktests so we can  
> use real controllers for better test coverage. We will be discussing  
> that at LSFMM session this year in detail.

No preference on the framework or where the tests live, FWIW.

> With this support in the blktest framework, we can definitely generate  
> right test-coverage for the tcp-offload that can be run by anyone who  
> has this H/W. Just like I run NVMe tests on the code going from NVMe  
> tree to block tree for every pull request, we are planning to run new  
> nvme tcp offload specific tests regularly on NVMe tree. We will be happy 
> to provide the H/W to distros who are supporting this feature in order 
> to make testing easier for others as well.

You're not sending these patches to the distros, you're sending them
to the upstream Linux kernel. And unfortunately we don't have a test
lab where we could put your HW, so it's on you. To be clear all you
need to do is periodically build and test certain upstream branches 
and report results. By "report" all I mean is put a JSON file with the
result somewhere we can HTTP GET. KernelCI has been around for a while,
I don't think this is a crazy ask.