Subject: Re: namespaced vsock

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 14:22:52 -0700

On Wed, 5 Jun 2024 18:00:25 +0200 Stefano Garzarella wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 05, 2024 at 07:57:44AM GMT, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
>> I found you patches from 2020 adding netns support to vsock.
>> I got an internal ping from someone trying to run VMMs inside
>> containers. Any plans on pushing that work forward? Is there
>> a reason you stopped, or just EBUSY?
> 
> IIRC nothing too difficult to solve, but as you guessed more EBUSY ;-)
> 
> Maybe the more laborious one is somehow exporting a netdev interface 
> into the guest to assign the device to a netns. But I hadn't tried to 
> see if that was feasible yet. I have some notes here:
> https://gitlab.com/vsock/vsock/-/issues/2
> 
> I've been planning to take it up several times but haven't found time 
> for now, if there's anyone interested I'm happy to share information and 
> help with review and feedback. Otherwise I try to allocate some time, 
> but I can't promise anything in the short term.

Makes sense, thanks for the info!

> Do you have time or anyone interested in continuing the work?

Depending on the priority compared to other work, as usual :(

There was a small chance you'd say "I'm planning to do it next month"
and I wouldn't have to worry at all, so I thought I'd ask ;)