Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/8] Introduce fwctl subystem

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 08:05:57 -0700

On Thu, 6 Jun 2024 11:48:18 -0300 Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > An argument can be made that given somewhat mixed switchdev experience
> > we should just stay out of the way and let that happen. But just make
> > that argument then, instead of pretending the use of this API will be
> > limited to custom very vendor specific things.  
> 
> Huh?

I'm sorry, David as been working in netdev for a long time.
I have a tendency to address the person I'm replying to,
assuming their level of understanding of the problem space.
Which makes it harder to understand for bystanders.

> At least mlx5 already has a very robust userspace competition to
> switchdev using RDMA APIs, available in DPDK. This is long since been
> done and is widely deployed.

Yeah, we had this discussion multiple times

> I have no idea where you get this made up idea that fwctl is somehow
> about dataplane SDKs. The acclerated networking industry long ago
> moved pasted netdev in upstream, it is well known to everyone. There
> is no trick here.
> 
> fwctl is not some scheme to sneak dataplane SDKs into the kernel, you
> are just making stuff up.

By dataplane SDK you mean DOCA? I don't even want to go there.
I just meant forwarding offload _which I said_. You didn't understand
and now you're accusing me of "making stuff up".

This whole conversation is such a damn waste of time.