Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 net-next] net: dsa: Allow only up to two HSR HW offloaded ports for KSZ9477

From: Lukasz Majewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 15:28:19 +0200

Hi Vladimir,

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 02:00:44PM +0200, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> > In general I do understand your concerns - however, as I've stated
> > this patch fixes oddity of the KSZ9477. I can test it with it.  
> 
> > To keep it short: I do see your point, but I believe that it is out
> > of the scope for this particular patch.  
> 
> So that's it? Can't test with anything other than KSZ9477 => don't
> care about anything else,

For this particular code the QEMU tests were specially developed
(hsr_redbox.sh).
Moreover, I've tested it on a real HW (the SW emulation of HSR) -
EVB-KSZ9477.

Additionally, the code was tested with offloaded case. For all this
stuff reproduction steps were provided with commit messages.

I would not call this "don't care about anything else" case...

Going further - the response for those patches - in terms of comments
was not as big as expected.

> and will ignore review feedback,

As I stated before - I do understand your concerns. However, I do
believe that with this patch I do address issue for KSZ9477.

> even if
> the static analysis of the code plausibly points to a more widespread
> issue?

I don't have xrs700x to test. Shall I spend time on fixing some
perceived issue for IC which I don't have?

Maybe somebody (like manufacturer or _real_ user) with xrc700x shall
test the code and provide feedback?
I've used get_maintainer script to add all people involved.

> As the author of commit 5055cccfc2d1 ("net: hsr: Provide RedBox
> support (HSR-SAN)"), who do you think should be responsible of taking
> care that it plays well with existing offloading drivers?

As I've written above - code which I've provided (including tests) is
IMHO enough.

However, if the community has other impression, then please provide
feedback. I will try to take proper actions.

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Erika Unter
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [email-masked]