Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 04/11] eth: bnxt: move from .set_rxfh to .create_rxfh_context and friends

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2024 06:46:54 -0700

On Wed, 3 Jul 2024 18:19:18 +0530 Pavan Chebbi wrote:
> >  has any opportunity to say ENOMEM, or whether the driver needs to
> >  validate against the hardware limit itself.  Hopefully Pavan (CCed)
> >  can elaborate.  
> 
> Because the driver is not aware of the hardware limit, and the limit
> is dynamic, we can rely on FW to know if the resource request we made
> was honored (there is no direct ENOMEM mechanism)
> The driver already does this when we make a runtime check for
> resources using bnxt_rfs_capable() when an RSS ctx is being created.
> But for this version of the driver, I would prefer to keep a limit
> because we have some FW improvements coming in, in the area of
> resource management.
> Though removing the limit may not break anything, I'd prefer to have
> it removed once a FW with improvements (indicated by a query
> flag/caps) is available.

I like keeping the limit too, FWIW, it'd be great to give this info
to user space in due course to let it make more informed decisions.