Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 0/5] net: stmmac: FPE via ethtool + tc

From: Furong Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 12:55:24 +0800

Hi Serge

On Mon, 5 Aug 2024 20:11:10 +0300, Serge Semin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Furong
> 
> Thank you very much for the series. I am not that much aware of the
> FPE and ethtool MAC Merge guts. But I had a thoughtful glance to the
> FPE-handshaking algo and got to a realization that all the FPE-related
> data defined in the include/linux/stmmac.h weren't actually
> platform-data. All of that are the run-time settings utilized during
> the handshaking algo execution.
> 
> So could you please move the fpe_cfg field to the stmmac_priv data and
> move the FPE-related declarations from the include/linux/stmmac.h
> header file to the drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac.h file?
> It's better to be done in a pre-requisite (preparation) patch of your
> series.
This will be included in V2 of this patchset.

> 
> Another useful cleanup would be moving the entire FPE-implementation
> from stmmac_main.c to a separate module. Thus the main
> driver code would be simplified a bit. I guess it could be moved to
> the stmmac_tc.c file since FPE is the TC-related feature. Right?

Thanks for your advice.

A few weeks ago, I sent a patchset to refactor FPE implementation:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Vladimir suggested me to move the FPE over to the new standard API,
then this patchset comes.

I am working on V2 of this patchset, once this patchset get merged,
a new FPE implementation will be sent to review.