Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next RFC] selftests/net: integrate packetdrill with ksft

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 11:39:14 -0700

On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 11:26:28 -0700 Mina Almasry wrote:
> I did not know about run_kselftest.sh. From a quick look, it seems to
> require selftests to be installed to run them. I think nipa relies on
> something slightly different, it does something like this, AFAIU this
> runs an individual kselftest without requiring it to be installed
> first (which is nice):
> 
> make -C tools/testing/selftests TARGETS="net"
> TEST_PROGS="rxtimestamp.sh" TEST_GEN_PROGS="" run_tests
> 
> It may be worth it to check if these added tests can be ran in a similar way.

They should, the ksft infra converges into the same bash script
(runner.sh) whether we enter via make or via the "installed" runner.

> This may also solve your issue with 'intermediate output' being
> printed after every test. AFAIU if the tests can be ran individually
> using a command like this, then you don't need intermediate output,
> maybe.

selftest infra tries to prefix raw output with # to make sure that
random prints don't get mixed with KTAP. IIRC there are two ways
to do that, one is a perl script and that doesn't buffer, but if
there's no perl in PATH it runs the output thru sed, and sed buffers.