Subject: [RFC PATCH net-next v2 0/6] net: xilinx: axienet: Enable adaptive IRQ coalescing with DIM

From: Sean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 19:52:02 -0400

To improve performance without sacrificing latency under low load,
enable DIM. While I appreciate not having to write the library myself, I
do think there are many unusual aspects to DIM, as detailed in the last
patch.

This series depends on [1-2] and is therefore marked RFC. This series is
otherwise ready to merge.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

Changes in v2:
- Add some symbolic constants for IRQ delay timer
- Report an error for bad coalesce settings
- Don't use spin_lock_irqsave when we know the context
- Split the CR calculation refactor from runtime coalesce settings
  adjustment support for easier review.
- Have axienet_update_coalesce_rx/tx take the cr value/mask instead of
  calculating it with axienet_calc_cr. This will make it easier to add
  partial updates in the next few commits.
- Get coalesce parameters from driver state
- Don't take the RTNL in axienet_rx_dim_work to avoid deadlock. Instead,
  calculate a partial cr update that axienet_update_coalesce_rx can
  perform under a spin lock.
- Use READ/WRITE_ONCE when accessing/modifying rx_irqs

Sean Anderson (6):
  net: xilinx: axienet: Add some symbolic constants for IRQ delay timer
  net: xilinx: axienet: Report an error for bad coalesce settings
  net: xilinx: axienet: Combine CR calculation
  net: xilinx: axienet: Support adjusting coalesce settings while
    running
  net: xilinx: axienet: Get coalesce parameters from driver state
  net: xilinx: axienet: Enable adaptive IRQ coalescing with DIM

 drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/Kconfig           |   1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet.h  |  31 +-
 .../net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c | 320 ++++++++++++++----
 3 files changed, 273 insertions(+), 79 deletions(-)

-- 
2.35.1.1320.gc452695387.dirty