Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: ethernet: Make OA_TC6 config symbol invisible

From: Simon Horman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 14:21:09 +0100

On Tue, Sep 24, 2024 at 12:20:32PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> There is no need to ask the user about enabling OPEN Alliance TC6
> 10BASE-T1x MAC-PHY support, as all drivers that use this library select
> the OA_TC6 symbol.  Hence make the symbol invisible, unless when
> compile-testing.
> 
> Fixes: aa58bec064ab1622 ("net: ethernet: oa_tc6: implement register write operation")
> Signed-off-by: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/net/ethernet/Kconfig | 2 +-
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

Hi Geert,

I'm not really convinced this is a fix rather than an enhancement for
net-next.  So my suggestion would be to repost, targeted at net-next, and
without a Fixes tag.

	Subject: [PATCH net-next] ...

In that scenario, if you wish to refer to the commit that introduced this
problem, then you can use the following in the commit message instead
of the Fixes tag. Unlike the fixes tag, I believe it can be line-wrapped.

commit aa58bec064a ("net: ethernet: oa_tc6: implement register write operation")

As it happens, net-next is currently closed for the v6.12 merge window. And
non-RFC patches for net-next should be posted after it re-opens. Which is
scheduled for after the release of v6.12-rc1.

Sorry for all the process nits :^)

-- 
pw-bot: defer