Subject: [net 1/8] net/mlx5: Fix error path in multi-packet WQE transmit

From: Saeed Mahameed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 13:20:06 -0700

From: Gerd Bayer <[email-masked]>

Remove the erroneous unmap in case no DMA mapping was established

The multi-packet WQE transmit code attempts to obtain a DMA mapping for
the skb. This could fail, e.g. under memory pressure, when the IOMMU
driver just can't allocate more memory for page tables. While the code
tries to handle this in the path below the err_unmap label it erroneously
unmaps one entry from the sq's FIFO list of active mappings. Since the
current map attempt failed this unmap is removing some random DMA mapping
that might still be required. If the PCI function now presents that IOVA,
the IOMMU may assumes a rogue DMA access and e.g. on s390 puts the PCI
function in error state.

The erroneous behavior was seen in a stress-test environment that created
memory pressure.

Fixes: 5af75c747e2a ("net/mlx5e: Enhanced TX MPWQE for SKBs")
Signed-off-by: Gerd Bayer <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Zhu Yanjun <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Maxim Mikityanskiy <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Saeed Mahameed <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_tx.c | 1 -
 1 file changed, 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_tx.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_tx.c
index b09e9abd39f3..f8c7912abe0e 100644
--- a/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_tx.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_tx.c
@@ -642,7 +642,6 @@ mlx5e_sq_xmit_mpwqe(struct mlx5e_txqsq *sq, struct sk_buff *skb,
 	return;
 
 err_unmap:
-	mlx5e_dma_unmap_wqe_err(sq, 1);
 	sq->stats->dropped++;
 	dev_kfree_skb_any(skb);
 	mlx5e_tx_flush(sq);
-- 
2.46.1