Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 00/10] net: netconsole refactoring and warning fix

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2024 07:30:01 -0700

On Fri, 4 Oct 2024 01:50:13 -0700 Breno Leitao wrote:
> > Makes sense in general, but why isn't the fix sent to net first, 
> > and then once the trees converge (follow Thursday) we can apply 
> > the refactoring and improvements on top?
> > 
> > The false positive warning went into 6.9 if I'm checking correctly.  
> 
> Correct. I probably should have separated the fix from the refactor.
> 
> For context, I was pursuing the warning, and the code was hard to read,
> so, I was refactoring the code while narrowing down the warning.
> 
> But you are correct, the warning is in 6.9+ kernels. But, keep in mind
> that the warning is very hard to trigger, basically the length of userdata
> and the message needs to be certain size to trigger it.

Understood, and to be honest it's a bit of an efficiency thing on
maintainer side - we try to avoid shades of gray as much as possible
because debates on what is and isn't a fix can consume a ton of time.

So in networking we push people to send the fixes for net, even if
triggering the problem isn't very likely.