Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] eth: fbnic: Add PCIe hardware statistics

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2024 16:09:58 -0800

On Wed, 6 Nov 2024 18:36:16 +0100 Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > How would this be done in the PCI core?  As far as I can tell, all
> > these registers are device-specific and live in some device BAR.  
> 
> Is this a licences PCIe core?
> 
> Could the same statistics appear in other devices which licence the
> same core? Maybe this needs pulling out into a helper?

The core is licensed but I believe the _USER in the defines names means
the stats sit in the integration logic not the licensed IP. I could be
wrong.

> If this is true, other uses of this core might not be networking
> hardware, so ethtool -S would not be the best interfaces. Then they
> should appear in debugfs?

I tried to push back on adding PCIe config to network tooling,
and nobody listened. Look at all the PCI stuff in devlink params.
Some vendors dump PCIe signal integrity into ethtool -S