Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 00/12] Begin upstreaming Homa transport protocol

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2024 17:48:34 -0800

On Mon, 11 Nov 2024 15:39:53 -0800 John Ousterhout wrote:
> This patch series begins the process of upstreaming the Homa transport
> protocol. Homa is an alternative to TCP for use in datacenter
> environments. It provides 10-100x reductions in tail latency for short
> messages relative to TCP. Its benefits are greatest for mixed workloads
> containing both short and long messages running under high network loads.
> Homa is not API-compatible with TCP: it is connectionless and message-
> oriented (but still reliable and flow-controlled). Homa's new API not
> only contributes to its performance gains, but it also eliminates the
> massive amount of connection state required by TCP for highly connected
> datacenter workloads.

Hi John!

Thanks for pushing forward! I wanted to give you a heads up that we're
operating at 50% maintainer capacity for the next 2 weeks so the
reviews may be more muted than usual. Don't hesitate to post new
versions (typically ~once a week) if you want to address any incoming
feedback and/or the build issues.

HTH