Subject: [PATCH net-next v4 0/5] net: Improve netns handling in RTNL and ip_tunnel

From: Xiao Liang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2024 22:32:39 +0800

This patch series includes some netns-related improvements and fixes for
RTNL and ip_tunnel, to make link creation more intuitive:

 - Creating link in another net namespace doesn't conflict with link names
   in current one.
 - Refector rtnetlink link creation. Create link in target namespace
   directly. Pass both source and link netns to drivers via newlink()
   callback.

So that

  # ip link add netns ns1 link-netns ns2 tun0 type gre ...

will create tun0 in ns1, rather than create it in ns2 and move to ns1.
And don't conflict with another interface named "tun0" in current netns.

---

v4:
 - Pack newlink() parameters to a single struct.
 - Use ynl async_msg_queue.empty() in selftest.

v3:
 link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
 - Drop "netns_atomic" flag and module parameter. Add netns parameter to
   newlink() instead, and convert drivers accordingly.
 - Move python NetNSEnter helper to net selftest lib.

v2:
 link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
 - Check NLM_F_EXCL to ensure only link creation is affected.
 - Add self tests for link name/ifindex conflict and notifications
   in different netns.
 - Changes in dummy driver and ynl in order to add the test case.

v1:
 link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Xiao Liang (5):
  net: ip_tunnel: Build flow in underlay net namespace
  rtnetlink: Lookup device in target netns when creating link
  rtnetlink: Decouple net namespaces in rtnl_newlink_create()
  selftests: net: Add python context manager for netns entering
  selftests: net: Add two test cases for link netns

 drivers/infiniband/ulp/ipoib/ipoib_netlink.c  | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/amt.c                             | 13 ++++---
 drivers/net/bareudp.c                         | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/bonding/bond_netlink.c            |  8 ++--
 drivers/net/can/dev/netlink.c                 |  4 +-
 drivers/net/can/vxcan.c                       | 11 ++++--
 .../ethernet/qualcomm/rmnet/rmnet_config.c    | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/geneve.c                          | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/gtp.c                             |  9 +++--
 drivers/net/ipvlan/ipvlan.h                   |  4 +-
 drivers/net/ipvlan/ipvlan_main.c              | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/ipvlan/ipvtap.c                   |  7 ++--
 drivers/net/macsec.c                          | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/macvlan.c                         |  8 ++--
 drivers/net/macvtap.c                         |  8 ++--
 drivers/net/netkit.c                          | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/pfcp.c                            |  8 ++--
 drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c                 | 10 +++--
 drivers/net/team/team_core.c                  |  7 ++--
 drivers/net/veth.c                            | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/vrf.c                             |  7 ++--
 drivers/net/vxlan/vxlan_core.c                | 11 ++++--
 drivers/net/wireguard/device.c                |  8 ++--
 drivers/net/wireless/virtual/virt_wifi.c      | 10 +++--
 drivers/net/wwan/wwan_core.c                  | 15 +++++--
 include/net/ip_tunnels.h                      |  5 ++-
 include/net/rtnetlink.h                       | 34 +++++++++++++---
 net/8021q/vlan_netlink.c                      | 11 ++++--
 net/batman-adv/soft-interface.c               |  8 ++--
 net/bridge/br_netlink.c                       |  8 ++--
 net/caif/chnl_net.c                           |  6 +--
 net/core/rtnetlink.c                          | 29 +++++++++-----
 net/hsr/hsr_netlink.c                         | 14 ++++---
 net/ieee802154/6lowpan/core.c                 |  9 +++--
 net/ipv4/ip_gre.c                             | 27 ++++++++-----
 net/ipv4/ip_tunnel.c                          | 16 ++++----
 net/ipv4/ip_vti.c                             | 10 +++--
 net/ipv4/ipip.c                               | 10 +++--
 net/ipv6/ip6_gre.c                            | 28 +++++++------
 net/ipv6/ip6_tunnel.c                         | 16 ++++----
 net/ipv6/ip6_vti.c                            | 15 ++++---
 net/ipv6/sit.c                                | 16 ++++----
 net/xfrm/xfrm_interface_core.c                | 14 +++----
 tools/testing/selftests/net/Makefile          |  1 +
 .../testing/selftests/net/lib/py/__init__.py  |  2 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/net/lib/py/netns.py   | 18 +++++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/net/netns-name.sh     | 10 +++++
 tools/testing/selftests/net/netns_atomic.py   | 39 +++++++++++++++++++
 48 files changed, 377 insertions(+), 205 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 tools/testing/selftests/net/netns_atomic.py

-- 
2.47.0