Subject: [ANN] net-next winter break shutdown plan

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2024 16:40:22 -0800

Hi!

tl;dr net-next will be closed Dec 21st - Jan 1st (incl.)

We plan to close the net-next tree for winter / end of the year
holidays. This will look much like the merge window shutdown,
but entirely self-inflicted. The expectation is that there wouldn't 
be much code posted, anyway, and we want to give maintainers and
reviewers the psychological comfort of knowing that they don't
have to look at the list. This is a third time we're closing 
the tree for end of the year, so hopefully it's not much of 
a surprise :)

We run a quick poll among maintainers and top reviewers for 
the previous release and it suggests that all of us will try to
be completely disconnected from Dec 24th to Jan 1st (incl.).
Almost everyone will also be AFK on the 23rd, so let's extend
the shutdown to the preceding weekend.

Depending on the urgency and volume of fixes we hope to also skip
the PR to Linus on Dec 26th.

As always during net-next closures RFC posting of net-next code
are not be discouraged. But you should probably be overeating 
while pondering the passage of time instead.. :)