Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 08/14] net-next/yunsilicon: Add ethernet interface

From: Leon Romanovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2024 13:34:12 +0200

On Tue, Dec 31, 2024 at 05:40:15PM +0800, tianx wrote:
> On 2024/12/31 13:12, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 31, 2024 at 12:13:23AM +0800, weihonggang wrote:
> >> Andrew, In another module(xsc_pci), we check xdev_netdev is NULL or not
> >> to see whether network module(xsc_eth) is loaded. we do not care about
> >> the real type,and we do not want to include the related header files in
> >> other modules. so we use the void type.
> > Please don't top post.
> >
> > If all you care about is if the module is loaded, turn it into a bool,
> > and set it true.
> >
> > 	Andrew
> 
>   Hi, Andrew
> 
> Not only the PCI module, but our later RDMA module also needs the netdev 
> structure in xsc_core_device to access network information. To simplify 
> the review, we haven't submitted the RDMA module, but keeping the netdev 
> helps avoid repeated changes when submitting later.

Don't worry about RDMA at this point, your driver structure doesn't fit
current multi-subsystem design.

You will need to completely rewrite your "net-next/yunsilicon: Device and
interface management" patch anyway when you will send us RDMA part.

Please use auxiliary bus infrastructure to split your driver to separate
it separate modules, instead of reinventing it.

Thanks

> Best regards,
> Xin