Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/1] vmxnet3: Adjust maximum Rx ring buffer size

From: Aaron Tomlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2025 21:30:35 +0000

Hi Ronak, Paolo,

I managed to trigger the MAX_PAGE_ORDER warning in the context of function
__alloc_pages_noprof() with /usr/sbin/ethtool --set-ring rx 4096 rx-mini
2048 [devname]' using the maximum supported Ring 0 and Rx ring buffer size.
Admittedly this was under the stock Linux kernel-4.18.0-477.27.1.el8_8
whereby CONFIG_CMA is not enabled. I think it does not make sense to
attempt a large memory allocation request for physically contiguous memory,
to hold the Rx Data ring that could exceed the maximum page-order supported
by the system.

I am not familiar with drivers/net/vmxnet3 related code.
Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Aaron Tomlin (1):
  vmxnet3: Adjust maximum Rx ring buffer size

 drivers/net/vmxnet3/vmxnet3_defs.h | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

-- 
2.47.1