Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 00/11] net: use netdev->lock to protect NAPI

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 19:53:08 -0800

We recently added a lock member to struct net_device, with a vague
plan to start using it to protect netdev-local state, removing
the need to take rtnl_lock for new configuration APIs.

Lay some groundwork and use this lock for protecting NAPI APIs.

v2:
 - reorder patches 2 and 3
 - add missing READ_ONCE()
 - fix up the kdoc to please Sphinx / htmldocs
 - use napi_disabled_locked() in via-velocity
 - update the comment on dev_isalive()
v1: https://lore.kernel.org/[email-masked]

Jakub Kicinski (11):
  net: add netdev_lock() / netdev_unlock() helpers
  net: make netdev_lock() protect netdev->reg_state
  net: add helpers for lookup and walking netdevs under netdev_lock()
  net: add netdev->up protected by netdev_lock()
  net: protect netdev->napi_list with netdev_lock()
  net: protect NAPI enablement with netdev_lock()
  net: make netdev netlink ops hold netdev_lock()
  net: protect threaded status of NAPI with netdev_lock()
  net: protect napi->irq with netdev_lock()
  net: protect NAPI config fields with netdev_lock()
  netdev-genl: remove rtnl_lock protection from NAPI ops

 include/linux/netdevice.h                   | 118 +++++++++++--
 net/core/dev.h                              |  29 +++-
 drivers/net/ethernet/amd/pcnet32.c          |  11 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf_main.c |  84 ++++-----
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvneta.c       |   5 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/via/via-velocity.c     |   6 +-
 drivers/net/netdevsim/ethtool.c             |   4 +-
 net/core/dev.c                              | 183 ++++++++++++++++++--
 net/core/net-sysfs.c                        |  39 ++++-
 net/core/netdev-genl.c                      |  56 +++---
 net/shaper/shaper.c                         |   6 +-
 11 files changed, 420 insertions(+), 121 deletions(-)

-- 
2.48.0