Subject: Re: [PATCH bpf-next v7 0/6] net/smc: Introduce smc_ops

From: Dust Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 15:33:03 +0800

On 2025-01-23 09:59:36, D. Wythe wrote:
>This patch aims to introduce BPF injection capabilities for SMC and
>includes a self-test to ensure code stability.
>
>Since the SMC protocol isn't ideal for every situation, especially
>short-lived ones, most applications can't guarantee the absence of
>such scenarios. Consequently, applications may need specific strategies
>to decide whether to use SMC. For example, an application might limit SMC
>usage to certain IP addresses or ports.
>
>To maintain the principle of transparent replacement, we want applications
>to remain unaffected even if they need specific SMC strategies. In other
>words, they should not require recompilation of their code.
>
>Additionally, we need to ensure the scalability of strategy implementation.
>While using socket options or sysctl might be straightforward, it could
>complicate future expansions.
>
>Fortunately, BPF addresses these concerns effectively. Users can write
>their own strategies in eBPF to determine whether to use SMC, and they can
>easily modify those strategies in the future.

The series looks good to me, except the name of smc_ops, we should come
up with a better name.

Best regards,
Dust