Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 00/13] tools: ynl: c: basic netlink-raw support

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2025 18:46:45 -0700

Basic support for netlink-raw AKA classic netlink in user space C codegen.
This series is enough to read routes and addresses from the kernel
(see the samples in patches 12 and 13).

Specs need to be slightly adjusted and decorated with the c naming info.

In terms of codegen this series includes just the basic plumbing required
to skip genlmsghdr and handle request types which may technically also
be legal in genetlink-legacy but are very uncommon there.

Subsequent series will add support for:
 - handling CRUD-style notifications
 - code gen for array types classic netlink uses
 - sub-message support

v2:
 - extend commit messages
 - [patch 10] fix typo in member name
 - [patch 12] remove unused arg
v1: https://lore.kernel.org/[email-masked]

Jakub Kicinski (13):
  netlink: specs: rename rtnetlink specs in accordance with family name
  netlink: specs: rt-route: specify fixed-header at operations level
  netlink: specs: rt-addr: remove the fixed members from attrs
  netlink: specs: rt-route: remove the fixed members from attrs
  netlink: specs: rt-addr: add C naming info
  netlink: specs: rt-route: add C naming info
  tools: ynl: support creating non-genl sockets
  tools: ynl-gen: don't consider requests with fixed hdr empty
  tools: ynl: don't use genlmsghdr in classic netlink
  tools: ynl-gen: consider dump ops without a do "type-consistent"
  tools: ynl-gen: use family c-name in notifications
  tools: ynl: generate code for rt-addr and add a sample
  tools: ynl: generate code for rt-route and add a sample

 .../specs/{rt_addr.yaml => rt-addr.yaml}      | 24 ++----
 .../specs/{rt_link.yaml => rt-link.yaml}      |  0
 .../specs/{rt_neigh.yaml => rt-neigh.yaml}    |  0
 .../specs/{rt_route.yaml => rt-route.yaml}    | 22 ++---
 .../specs/{rt_rule.yaml => rt-rule.yaml}      |  0
 .../userspace-api/netlink/netlink-raw.rst     |  2 +-
 tools/net/ynl/Makefile.deps                   |  2 +
 tools/net/ynl/generated/Makefile              |  2 +-
 tools/net/ynl/lib/ynl-priv.h                  |  3 +
 tools/net/ynl/lib/ynl.h                       |  3 +
 tools/net/ynl/lib/ynl.c                       | 59 +++++++++-----
 tools/net/ynl/samples/rt-addr.c               | 80 +++++++++++++++++++
 tools/net/ynl/samples/rt-route.c              | 80 +++++++++++++++++++
 tools/net/ynl/pyynl/ynl_gen_c.py              | 55 +++++++++----
 tools/net/ynl/samples/.gitignore              |  4 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/net/lib/py/ynl.py     |  4 +-
 16 files changed, 263 insertions(+), 77 deletions(-)
 rename Documentation/netlink/specs/{rt_addr.yaml => rt-addr.yaml} (89%)
 rename Documentation/netlink/specs/{rt_link.yaml => rt-link.yaml} (100%)
 rename Documentation/netlink/specs/{rt_neigh.yaml => rt-neigh.yaml} (100%)
 rename Documentation/netlink/specs/{rt_route.yaml => rt-route.yaml} (93%)
 rename Documentation/netlink/specs/{rt_rule.yaml => rt-rule.yaml} (100%)
 create mode 100644 tools/net/ynl/samples/rt-addr.c
 create mode 100644 tools/net/ynl/samples/rt-route.c

-- 
2.49.0