Subject: Re: [PATCH net v4 2/2] phy: mscc: Fix PTP for VSC8574 and VSC8572

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2025 16:52:30 -0700

On Tue, 21 Oct 2025 11:07:20 +0200 Paolo Abeni wrote:
> On 10/21/25 1:53 AM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2025 08:48:19 +0200 Horatiu Vultur wrote:  
> >> For VSC8574 and VSC8572, the PTP initialization is incomplete. It is
> >> missing the first part but it makes the second part. Meaning that the
> >> ptp_clock_register() is never called.
> >>
> >> There is no crash without the first part when enabling PTP but this is
> >> unexpected because some PHys have PTP functionality exposed by the
> >> driver and some don't even though they share the same PTP clock PTP.  
> > 
> > I'm tempted to queue this to net-next, sounds like a "never worked 
> > in an obvious way" case.  I'd appreciate a second opinion.. Andrew?  
> 
> FTR, I agree with the above, as (out of sheer ignorance) I think/fear
> the first patch can potentially cause regressions.

Thanks, let's rephrase the commits message on patch 1 (per Russell's
comments) and get this reposted for net-next (without the Fixes tag).