Subject: Re: [PATCH] key: No support for family zero

From: Simon Horman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2025 21:00:57 +0000

+ Shaurya Rane, clingfei

On Sun, Oct 19, 2025 at 10:34:11AM +0800, Edward Adam Davis wrote:
> When setting the extended skb data for sadb_x_ipsecrequest, the requested
> extended data size exceeds the allocated skb data length, triggering the
> reported bug.
> 
> Because family only supports AF_INET and AF_INET6, other values will cause
> pfkey_sockaddr_fill() to fail, which in turn causes set_ipsecrequest() to
> fail.
> 
> Therefore, a workaround is available here: using a family value of 0 to
> resolve the issue of excessively large extended data length.
> 
> syzbot reported:
> kernel BUG at net/core/skbuff.c:212!
> Call Trace:
>  skb_over_panic net/core/skbuff.c:217 [inline]
>  skb_put+0x159/0x210 net/core/skbuff.c:2583
>  skb_put_zero include/linux/skbuff.h:2788 [inline]
>  set_ipsecrequest+0x73/0x680 net/key/af_key.c:3532
> 
> Fixes: 08de61beab8a ("[PFKEYV2]: Extension for dynamic update of endpoint address(es)")
> Reported-by: [email-masked]
> Closes: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=be97dd4da14ae88b6ba4
> Signed-off-by: Edward Adam Davis <[email-masked]>

Hi,

There are several patches relating to this issue. And they seem
to take one of two approaches.

1. As with this patch [a] and [b]: check the return value of
   pfkey_sockaddr_len()

2. As in [c]: correct the type of the family argument to set_ipsecrequest()

[a] key: No support for family zero
    https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

[b] net: key: Validate address family in set_ipsecrequest()
  https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

[c] fix integer overflow in set_ipsecrequest
    https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

I would appreciate it if the patch authors could coordinate creating a
patch(set) to address this issue. And look over the more detailed response
I provided to [c].

Thanks!

-- 
pw-bot: changes-requested